With unlimited access to information at our fingertips at any given moment, it can be hard to keep up sometimes. You may be thinking you know everything there is to know, or at least the basic stuff. But what if you’re wrong and you actually missed out on a few facts that you won’t believe you didn’t already know?
Well, then you should prepare to have your mind blown away with these 12 facts everyone should know, but few actually know.
1. Goldfish bowls are actually bad for goldfishes
Goldfish bowls are too small, so they don’t provide enough oxygen because of the lack of adequate filtration.
2. If you want to save your life during a heart attack, you need to chew on an aspirin
As any other pill, aspirin works fastest if chewed. Aspirin can help during a heart attack because it inhibits platelets that speed blood clots.
3. The “Freedom of Speech” provision in the First Amendment protects you from punishment from the government, not from the consequences of your speech
4. Antibiotics don’t work on viruses
Antibiotics only kill bacteria and are useless against the cold and flu, which are both caused by viruses. When not used correctly, they can be harmful to your health.
5. Frankenstein is not the name of the monster, but that of the doctor
6. If you put the lid down in a porta-potty, the smell will vent out the pipe that leads to the top
And not stink up the porta-potty itself. When the wind blows over the top of the porta-potty, it creates a suction effect that drags the smell out.
7. Your blood isn’t blue inside your body
Your blood is always red, but it appears to be blue in your veins because of the way light interacts with your skin.
8. Drowning often doesn’t look like drowning
Actually, when someone drowns there can be very little splashing, no waving, and no yelling or calls for help, you can thank TV shows and movies for that.
9. Most cars have an arrow on the fuel gauge that tells you what side of the car the gas tank is on
10. Pterodactyls weren’t dinosaurs
The proper term for pterodactyl is pterosaur, and they are technically not dinosaurs, but flying reptiles.
11. Command/Ctrl + Shift + T will restore your accidentally closed tab in Chrome
12. In the Bible, the forbidden fruit in the garden of Eden wasn’t an apple
In the Genesis, the forbidden object is described with the Hebrew word `peri`, which is a generic term for fruit. The apple misconception it was caused by the translation of the Bible into Latin, because the Latin word for `evil` is `malum`, which is similar to `mālum`, which is the Latin word for `apple`.
Actually, it’s speculated that the forbidden fruit may have been a fig, a grape, a pomegranate, or even a nut.
So, you are welcome for these life facts you now wonder why didn’t you knew before.